I spent the better part of today preparing for the monthly Richfield Tourism Promotion Board meeting. The RTPB’s responsibility is to oversee VisitRichfield – the organization which furnishes to the City of Richfield marketing and promotional services related to regional and statewide advertising of the City’s hospitality industry. In some cities, an organization such as RTPB is called a convention and visitors bureau (CVB).
The RTPB is funded solely from 95% of the revenues derived from a lodging tax imposed by the City pursuant to Minnesota Statutes Section 469.190. RTPB board members are not employees of the City, they are appointed by Richfield’s City Council and each serves a three (3) year term. Current board members are (terms expire 12/31/2015):
- PRESIDENT: Patrick Brekken, President – Richfield Bloomington Credit Union
- TREASURER: Lin Shurtleff, Common Cents Bookkeeping
- DIRECTOR: Adam Selby, General Manager – Four Points By Sheraton
- DIRECTOR: Abisola Omiwade, General Manager – Candlewood Suites
- DIRECTOR: Raj Bhakta, General Manager – AmericInn
- NON-VOTING BOARD MEMBERS:
- Steve Devich, City Manager and
- Angie Schaefbauer, President of the Richfield Chamber of Commerce who provides executive services
Ongoing activities of the RTPB include reviewing sponsorship opportunities in Richfield and supporting the marketing efforts of Richfield’s hotels. In addition, the board has spearheaded a Richfield branding project, which is moving into phase 2 – the “creative” phase of the project.