Leadership Lessons from Erik Therwanger of Think GREAT
The 3 Pillars of Business Greatness
The other week, I was invited by one of our Chamber board members, Colleen Nagle from Midland Title, to attend a leadership seminar led by founder of Think GREAT, Erik Therwanger. Erik is a United States Marine, executive business leader, sales professional, author, and entrepreneur. Through his experience, he has developed what he calls The 3 Pillars of Business Greatness, including leading, planning, and selling. Over the course of about three hours, Erik shared from his various experiences and explained what he believes can take a business from just getting by, to absolutely flourishing. I thought I would share a few highlights and questions that were impactful:
- We all need a plan and system to create predictable outcomes. Do you have a plan for your business? What is your system?
- Most businesses fail to have a shared language. This requires becoming immersed in the language of your industry, but also developing a unique shared language for your specific team, company, and culture.
- There is a difference between managing and leading. Manage the work but lead your people.
- Busy vs. Productive. Be honest, which category do you fall into? What type of environment have you created within your business – one that rewards constant busyness, or one that recognizes true productivity?
- For all those who are doing sales of some kind – be patient, persevere! It can take 5-12 follow-ups to finally gain a new client, member, sponsor, etc.
- Remember this – it’s not about perfection, but progress.
There was much more that Erik shared, but I hope that these nuggets of information spark a little inspiration as you strive to lead your business well. Check out Erik Therwanger and his resources at Think GREAT.
A big thanks to Chamber board member Colleen Nagle and Midland Title for providing this great opportunity. I’m excited to bring these leadership concepts into my work with the Chamber!